Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Staying by his side

This isn't exactly a nice story. Actually, it's tragic. A little boy died during a fire as did four dogs.

An excerpt struck my heartstrings:Investigators found Aidan's body in the garage, his brindle pit bull Missy by his side.

It isn't just because the dog is a pit bull, either.

For me, it hits my heart hard because this dying dog chose to stay by the side of her human. She, like so many dogs, was probably this child's shadow, keeping him company (even knowing dogs and kids shouldn't be left alone together, I can't help but feel mildly grateful they were together).

I can't say she didn't have her behavioral quirks or that she was the perfect dog. I can say that, in those final moments, this dog made a choice - out of instinct or reason - to stay by this child's side. She did not run away to die in the corner nor did she redirect her fear onto the small human next to her. And I hope that, at the very least, this child found comfort in the warmth and solidness of his dog and she in the clutching of his small hands on her fur. This isn't a happy story, there is no happy ending, and I wish with all my heart that I could have read about Aiden and Missy alive and happy.

1 comment:

YesBiscuit! said...

Oh how sad. We are but fragile creatures in an uncertain world and yet, there is love, even in death.