Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I am not impressed

From my previous entry on the multi-state dog fight bust:

I think it's pretty certain that a lot of those dogs will not pass a behavioral test. - Wayne Pacelle, CEO HSUS
And today, here is a slideshow put up by HSUS itself. Watch it.

Are you afraid of those dogs? Now maybe they will still fail a behavioral test, but it won't be because the dogs themselves are failures. It will most likely be because some behavioral tests set dogs up to fail. Behavioral tests are a useful tool, not a 100% determinant of a dog's success as companion.

I am not against killing healthy dogs for behavioral reasons. But not as a first choice and certainly not after one lousy behavioral test in a stressful shelter environment. I would love to see behavioral modification attempted first. I mean, I'm not talking spending $8,000 and your inheritance, I'm talking a couple consults with behaviorists or qualified trainers.

In any event, I can't say that, after seeing that slideshow, I'm all that impressed with the CEO of HSUS and his aforementioned quote. I give kudos for HSUS that they are providing daily care and monetary funds (they could pay for the dogs' entire care, really) but I would love to see their newsbytes be less "doubtful" and more "hopeful" - or, at least, more tempered.

The Humane Society of Missouri is asking for in-kind donations for the dogs. While I'm not a fan of what they too said about the dogs (lost cause, yada yada), the dogs don't care either way.

So, from their website: To help us keep the dogs happy and occupied we are asking for donations of sturdy, hard plastic or rubber toys suitable for large dogs i.e. Kongs, Nylabones, 10“-12” hard plastic or rubber balls. Toy donations can be dropped off at our Macklind Avenue Headquarters, 1201 Macklind Avenue, St. Louis, MO 63110.

2 comments:

Kembree said...

Yes, I agree, very frustrating

EmilyS said...

you don't agree with Christie about organizational change and paradigm shift?

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2009/07/15/hsus-and-the-bust-dogs-this-is-what-organizational-change-looks-like/

me neither...

I agree with Winograd:

An orgazniation with the megabucks of HSUS owes fightbust dogs more than a few staff members and voluteers on-site and a few sad pictures on their website:
http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=1629